Sunday, June 29, 2008

retro posting

No, I'm not going writing about a stylish '50s era chair I almost trash-picked last week after the boyfriend saw it on the street, but I am going to retroactively post some pics from my visit to Rochester last week. I took my parents to the Public Market to make some purchases for a few meals and we had a grand time.







No visit is complete without an empanada with salsa verde. Delicious.



K and I prepared dinner for a family friend using homegrown greens from my mom's garden and glorious golden tomatoes from a farm in Albion, NY. The recipes we borrowed from J's facebook page where she hosts an Epicurious application that offers recipes each day.

I love to cook with my brother. Although I get scolded by him for various offenses ranging from dropping a knife on my foot (that's my own pain as far as I can tell) to slicing the tomatoes in the wrong direction, cooking side by side at my parents' is probably one of my favorite ways to spend an afternoon. Besides, he is a master griller and under his hand my recipe for marinated chicken turned out perfect.









Here is one of the recipes, K and I both recommend reducing the onion to 1 cup and I used herbs we had in the garden--thyme, basil, and dill:

Basmati rice with sweet onions and summer herbs Bon Appétit | June 2008

Stirring the fresh herbs into the hot rice preserves their flavor and releases their aroma.

Makes 6 servings

by Maria Helm Sinskey

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups basmati rice (about 10 ounces)
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
2 cups chopped sweet onions (such as Vidalia or Walla Walla)
2 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh tarragon
preparation

Rinse rice under cold water until water runs clear; set aside. Melt butter in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions; sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add rice, 2 1/2 cups water, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt; bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 10 minutes. Stir in herbs. Season with pepper and more salt, if desired. Transfer to bowl and serve.

No comments: